Home / FAQ


Please check back frequently. We are compiling an ongoing list of FAQs.
Click here to ask your question.

Check out the FAQ page on the California Commission on Disability Access website.

I am sponsoring a special event and I want to be sure that it is accessible to persons with disabilities.  Where can I find information related to making a special event accessible?

California State University Fresno has published on their website an excellent guide to making special events and activities accessible.  The ADA National Network has published a similar guide as well.

If I attain a CASp report, am I protected against a lawsuit?

Yes and No.  By attaining a CASp report, you become a “qualified defendant” if somebody files a complaint against you/your business in a construction-related accessibility lawsuit.  You may be entitled to a court stay to postpone legal proceedings and you may request an early evaluation conference.  You must attain a CASp report BEFORE a lawsuit is filed with the court and you must follow the schedule of improvements.

Where can I find information about service animals?

The U.S. Justice Department recently published new FAQ’s regarding service animals.  This information is available on the Pacific ADA website in an easy-to-understand format.

Can a privately owned/operated parking garage or parking lot charge a fee for parking in an accessible stall?

Yes.  Though accessible parking stalls owned/operated by a public entity may waive the parking fee, private entities are not required to do so.

I am a small business owner with questions regarding the Department of Justice's revised regulations regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and standards for accessible design.  Where can I find accurate information regarding these new regulations and how they apply to me?

The U.S. Department of Justice has created information for small businesses to help them understand how ADA applies to them.

I feel that an attorney has acted unethically.  Where do I file a complaint?

You may file a complaint with the State Bar of California by visiting http://www.calbar.ca.gov/ or by phoning at 800-843-9053.

How can I find out if an attorney has filed a copy of a demand letter and/or complaint with CCDA as required by SB 1186?

Contact CCDA via email or telephone and provide them with the attorney’s name, the month/day/year of the demand letter/complaint, and preferably the name of the plaintiff and defendant as well.  They may be able to provide you with an answer without all of the information listed above on a case-by-case basis.  Larger or more complicated inquiries will require a greater turn-around time.

How does the California Commission on Disability Access (CCDA) enforce ADA law within affordable housing dwelling units?

CCDA does not maintain the authority to enforce ADA law.  ADA concerns regarding affordable housing dwelling units should be direct to the California Department of Housing and Community Development and/or the the California Department of Community Services and Development, and/or your local jurisdiction.

The code requires that a commercial property owner/lessor state in the lease whether or not a CASp inspection has taken place. If a CASp inspection has not taken place and the owner/lessor states such in the lease, has the owner/lessor fully complied with its obligations under Section 1938? Are there any penalties, fines, or consequences to the owner/lessor for not having the CASp inspection done?

(The scenario below assumes that no complaint has been served on the tenant/owner regarding a construction related accessibility claim.)

Civil Code Section 1938 states: A commercial property owner or lessor shall state on every lease form or rental agreement executed on or after July 1, 2013 whether the property being leased or rented has undergone inspection by a Certified Access Specialist (CASp), and, if so, whether the property has or has not been determined to meet all applicable standards pursuant to Section 55.53.  The property owner/lessor is not required to obtain a CASp inspection, only to state the required information about whether or not the property has been inspected, and, if it was inspected, whether or not the property has or has not been determined to meet applicable standards on the lease or rental agreement.

Join our email list to stay informed